A Comprehensive Guide to Visiting Bonbon Beach in Romblon
Bonbon Beach lies nestled in the picturesque island province of Romblon, Philippines. Famous for its stunning white powdery sands, crystal-clear water, and a remarkable sandbar connecting it to the nearby Bang-og Island, this beach destination is truly a hidden gem waiting to be explored.
There is no shortage of reasons to make this paradisiacal spot your next island getaway, and by the end of this guide, you’ll have all the information you need for an unforgettable trip to Bonbon Beach.
II. How to Get There
- By air: Book a domestic flight from Manila to Tugdan Airport, Romblon. The flight duration is approximately 1 hour. From the airport, take a tricycle or jeepney to either Odiongan or San Agustin port.
- By sea: Take a ferry from Batangas Port to either Odiongan or San Agustin port. Travel time usually takes around 8-10 hours. You can get to Batangas port via local buses that depart from various bus terminals in Manila.
Upon arriving at Odiongan or San Agustin Port, take a jeepney or tricycle going to Bonbon Beach. The jeepney ride will take approximately 1.5 hours.
The following accommodations are recommended options for different budgets:
- Budget-friendly: Bonbon Beach Resort
- Mid-range: Lukoy Beach Resort
- Luxury: Cobrador Island Resort Romblon
These lodgings provide a range of facilities and amenities to suit the varying needs of visitors, from basic to more upscale facilities, and all are conveniently located near the beach.
IV. What to See and Do
- Bonbon Beach sandbar: The main attraction which connects Bonbon Beach with Bang-og Island during low tide.
- Marine Sanctuary: A protected area with an abundant array of marine life, perfect for snorkeling and diving.
- Bang-og Island: Hike up to the top of the island for a panoramic view of the surrounding seascape.
- Swimming: Soak up the sun and enjoy the warm crystal-clear water of Bonbon Beach.
- Snorkeling and diving: Discover the rich and colorful underwater world by snorkeling or diving in the Marine Sanctuary.
- Island hopping: Hire a boat and explore the other islands nearby, such as Logbon and Alad Island.
V. Best Times to Visit
The best time to visit Bonbon Beach is during the dry season (November to May), when the weather is sunny and perfect for beach activities. It’s best to avoid the rainy season (June to October), which can cause rough sea conditions and cancel some outdoor activities.
Peak and Off-Peak Season
To avoid the crowd, visit Bonbon Beach during the off-peak season (June to September). Keep in mind that while there may be fewer people, it’s also the rainy season. The peak season runs from December to May, which can be crowded but offers the best weather conditions.
VI. Practical Tips for Visiting
- Always swim with a buddy or in designated swimming zones.
- Be aware of the tide schedule when exploring the sandbar.
- Don’t touch or step on corals while snorkeling or diving.
- Apply sunblock with high SPF and wear proper beach attire.
Essential things to bring
- Sun protection (sunblock, sunglasses, hat)
- Waterproof bag to protect valuables
- Dry pack or reusable waterproof pouch for gadgets
- Snorkeling gears, if you have any
- Mosquito repellent
- Enough cash, as ATMs may not be easily accessible
Bonbon Beach is a breathtaking destination that deserves a place on your bucket list. With its enchanting sandbar, crystal-clear waters, and innumerable activities, this beach offers a memorable experience. Take note of the practical tips and ensure a hassle-free journey while visiting this stunning island paradise.
Stay safe, pack smart, and get ready for an unparalleled adventure at Bonbon Beach, Romblon.